Monday, May 25, 2009

The visit with the vet today

Luke went to his appointment this morning at a different vet from the one he was at last week. This vet deals with conventional care & holistic.

Luke was fine for the ride to the vet. We were the first appointment of the day and the only ones there. The visit was brief, but gave me a much better feeling then the other vet. This vet was able to tell me that he thinks that it is his gall bladder that is effected. When looking at the x-rays, he was able to tell that he saw stones. The other vet, just wasn't sure what they were & where it may have come from. So that was a relief to actually be told what things were, rather than being inconclusive. This vet recommended that an ultra sound would confirm what was going on in Luke. I knew that the ultra sound was coming. But, also the vet said he may need his gall bladder removed. I'm not sure the cost of that, but it's got to be pricey. We have raised enough funds to hopefully cover the ultrasound, that will be done on Friday. They are calling me Wednesday to give me all the details of the when, how and cost.

To date we have raised $500!!! Which is a so amazing. Without your generosity, there would be no next step for Luke. I am tapped out fund wise after last week's stay at the vet. I am very thankful that we can get the ultra sound and then make a decision from there. I am taking it one day at at time.

The vet prescribed a B-12 shot for Luke for the next 5 days. I have to inject him with that. (Nervous about that one). We also got the high calorie paste in the tube, that someone had actually mentioned to me in the comments or maybe it was twitter. Also another type of wet food a/d to give to him to force feed him. I really wish that switch would just click in him and he would eat on his own. He loves to eat in real life, it was the best parts of his days.

I do feel better about this visit today at the vet. But the sound of an operation is just something I can not handle the sound of right now. I want to think positively and just hope that maybe he can be cured by medicine? (naive possibly)... I'm going to be doing some internet research on the gall bladder situation.

On the ride home, so many things go through my head about how to deal with this. The sadness sets in... I don't want to have just had 2 years with Luke. I want more time. I really want more time with him. It breaks my heart every time I think of the possible loss. I just now try to stay away from those thoughts.

Yesterday, I bought Luke a little can of fancy feast to see if he would be interested in it. He actually licked it & picked up a couple of pieces, but then that was all. I was so hoping he would just dig in. I also bought him some turkey baby food. It was slim pickings at the Superstore for tasty meat selections. Luke actually put up a bit of a fight when I fed him this. But, it seemed like such a tastier option than watered down wet food. But I am a human... he is a cat. I am just going to stick to the high calorie paste that vet gave us & the new wet food. But I am hoping he will just want to eat someday soon on his own.

I had mentioned that I will be putting a little package together for those of you who have donated. I am sticking to this plan. I will be going through all the donations this afternoon to make sure I have everyone's address! So you may get an email from me today!!!

So now we just wait.






7 comments:

  1. So glad that the second opinion gives you a feeling of confidence. It is so important to trust the vet when you make decisions that have this kind of impact on your pet's life. If Luke is still turning his nose up at wet food, try "watering" it with beef/chicken broth not water. Or tuna juice for anything fishy tasting. That way even the liquid you use has nutrient value for him. And the kitten milk will give him a boost too (Ensure for cats!) We nursed a diabetic cat for 5 years - she lived to be 18, so do NOT let this get you down.
    And you MUST remember that the two years that you have had Luke have been the best years of his life. Without you, he would have been a feral cat - with a very short, difficult life span (and usu. a painful death) or a shelter cat with rationed-out bits of attention.

    So be glad for what you have given him (and vice versa) and what you will yet be able to. He has a WONDERFUL life because you took him in. And with everyone helping and rooting for you both he has a lot longer to be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Leslie!
    thank for the tip on using a broth instead of water! i will try that tonight for sure.

    you have me in tears. i know you are right about all of it, but it hurts so much. it would be such a huge loss. i have never had to deal with the sickness of a pet. my last cat lived to be 20 years old. he died of old age... about 5 years ago. i honestly thought i would never get a cat after boots passed. but then i saw luke online & i had to have him. he turned out to be the best little cat man ever. i just can't bear to think of life without him at the shop or in my life at all.

    he is too young! he's only around 8 years old :(

    thanks for all your support and kindness. it means a lot to me. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you talked to the vet about his food and that he doesn't want to eat. Please remember that the informaion you find in the internet is not always reliable. The vet is always the best person to talk to.
    The gall bladder surgery is not so bad, it could be so much worse!
    Did you give the B12 shot. I saw your question in Twitter. If Luke is acting different please call the vet. We have aour paws crossed here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't be nervous about the injection. You'll do just fine! The calmer you are the calmer Luke will be! I was a vet tech student and before working in vet hospitals I never thought I would be able to give injections or anything like that! But it's pretty easy and quick! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you and luke are Ok with the injections.

    You are doing your best and that's what counts whatever happens.

    Don't worry if he is not eating now as long as you can feed him with the high calorie paste. I told you I fed one sick cat during 3 weeks with this paste. The shorter you make the force feeding the better for him and for you.
    He 'll let you know when he gets his appetite back. Just make sure you tell the VET.

    Also try to stick to the VET food as it is probably more appropriate for him. If he gets hungry he'll eat it or ask the VET for another appropriate kind, sometimes another brand tastes better for some kittehz.

    We are so glad to see that Luke is back home and that there seem to be some kind of diagnosis.

    Lots of Purrrrrs
    @Oscar_LeChat & @Mickeychat

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi bfiori!
    yes, the injections were a little worrisome for me. but, i did it! ack! i was so scared though og going in too hard or the wrong way. thankfully it all worked out.
    thanks so much for comments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello anne-christine!

    did you just feed the high calorie paste during that time? or did you force feed to. the VET told me to do both, but the paste is so easy. force feeding does not make for happy times with luke or myself. i just want him to love food again.
    thanks for following lukes story & for all your helpful advice and comments. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete